Senior Software Engineer, EMR
About Hint Health
Hint Health is the leading digital health company dedicated to supporting the growth and success of the Direct Primary Care (DPC) movement. With a mission to power direct care and make it the new standard, the HintOS platform powers thousands of clinics and networks across the nation providing care for nearly a million members. Hint also produces Hint Summit, the leading DPC innovation conference and supports Hint Connect, a curated national network of independent DPC clinics. Founded in 2013, the company is headquartered in San Francisco, CA. To learn more, visit www.hint.com/company.
Hint has taken the Parity Pledge and is committed to racial and gender parity. Furthermore, those historically underrepresented in tech—including people of color, immigrants, members of the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities and veterans—are encouraged to apply. We look for the best candidate for the job based on demonstrable skills, and do not screen for educational background, age, or markers of socioeconomic status.
This Senior Software Engineer role at Hint will be responsible for the end-to-end software development for our Hint All-in-One product—a suite of DPC management software that consists of Hint Core (patient membership and invoicing tools) and an Electronic Medical Records (EMR) system for clinical management (charts, labs, prescriptions, appointments).
This role at Hint primarily centers on our EMR software, and is a full-stack position with a focus on backend development and infrastructure. We highly value experience in our core technologies: Node.js, React, and AWS. We're open to supporting your growth and teaching you the other areas of our stack, which include DynamoDB, Postgres, Ruby on Rails, and Elm.
Your day-to-day activities will mainly fall into four major categories: designing and implementing scalable software, working with product management to scope upcoming work, mentoring other engineers, and improving on tools and workflows that support effective collaboration.
Hint is a remote-first company. Candidates for this role must reside in—and be eligible to legally work for any employer—in the US, Canada, Uruguay, or Costa Rica, overlapping with US business hours (approximately 8am–4pm PST).
- Work closely with product to help scope and prioritize roadmap initiatives
- Actively participate in design and architecture meetings
- Identify and propose changes that will help our systems scale
- Provide guidance and mentorship through code reviews, coaching, pair programming, and knowledge sharing
- Drive healthcare outcomes by delivering projects on time, identifying and addressing risks, and helping the team be more effective as a whole
Candidates for this role will be asked to demonstrate aptitude in the following areas:
- Systems-thinking—Ability to analyze and anticipate long-term consequences of near-term decision making, and the impact of those decisions on the team, product, and our customers
- Pragmatism—Ability to make trade-offs and work within existing constraints in order to maximize positive customer impact and minimize technical debt
- Initiative—Ability to proactively identify and address issues in order to drive goals forward
- Clarity—Ability to communicate complex technical concepts and ideas effectively, and provide actionable and objective feedback and mentorship to other engineers
Like other Hint team members, we hope that you:
- Believe that teams can achieve more when they work together
- Are naturally curious and often seek different perspectives and approaches to problem-solving
- Can leverage your past experiences to respond to new and unfamiliar challenges
- Prefer to lead through influence rather than authority
- Foster kindness, trust, and respect within your team
- Want to have an impact in changing how healthcare is delivered in the US
Given the complexity and nuances of the market we serve, Payments and/or Healthcare experience are nice-to-haves, but not requirements for this role.
Life at Hint
Our team is inquisitive, kind, open, and smart. We introduce our kids and pets, have virtual hangouts, and play games to stay connected during pandemic times. Our Employee Resources Groups include a women's group, a caregiver group, and an anti-racism group. We also have regular cadences for company all-hands updates and team learning sessions so all Hinters can stay connected to how their work is changing the landscape of healthcare.
At Hint we support our teams to be their best by taking care of them and providing attractive benefits.
- Competitive compensation of base salary & stock options
- Progressive paid parental leave for both parents
- Remote-first workplace, home office stipend & optional in-person meet-ups
- Flexible working hours, flexible vacation & paid national holidays
- US employees: Comprehensive medical, dental & vision + DPC membership or HSA stipend
- UY & CR employees: Up to $250/mo medical stipend which can be used for any medical, vision or dental care costs